Table of Contents
Akaso Brave 4 4K 20MP WiFi Action Camera Review
In this review of the Akaso Brave 4, we are going to explore the very affordable Akaso Brave 4 camera and discuss its features which play an important rule in every kind of photography. It is one of The Brooklyn Nomad’s more popular products and with good reason.
Akaso Brave 4 Design
If you are familiar with action cameras then the AKASO Brave 4 will look familiar to you. Most action cameras have a similar design. You know with a plastic rectangular shape with a ribbed texture on the side. It is a simple design that just works with action cameras. It’s easy to hold onto and apparently it’s easy to for the manufacturing companies to install the hardware into it as well. That said, AKASO Brave 4 has added some changes to spice up the normal design. They have added a small LCD screen to the top left corner of the front. This is a feature on more expensive cameras but usually it’s at the bottom corner.
The overall button layout is still pretty standard. About the only thing different is that the on/off switch is now underneath the screen. The top of the camera still has a shutter button and two navigation buttons on the side. The main 2″ IPS screen is at the back. There are also 3 ports on the right side: Micro USB, Micro HDMI and Micro SD.
Akaso Brave 4 Price
The AKASO Brave 4 is simply put a budget competitor of the iconic GoPro which are priced in the $300-$400 range. The Akaso Brave 4 comes in at a much more affordable $79.99 at the time of this post on Amazon.
We all know that price play an role in choosing a camera. When you read about the festures below you will wonder why anyone pays so much more for a GoPro. Is the GoPro name really worth spending $200+ more? Assuming you’re a value-oriented shopper, you’ll want to know if this is really the best action camera under $100?
Akaso Brave 4 Vs GoPro
Bottom line is that GoPro is a brand which provides quality cameras with full accessories but their problem is that they are expensive. The Akaso Brave 4 has many great features and the price difference doesn’t justify spending more for a GoPro.
Akaso Brave 4 Performance
The AKASO Brave 4 has a Sony CMOS 20MP sensor. It also has an Allwinner V3 chipset. The output is 1080p at 60 fps. Which means that the 4K and 2K video resolutions are clearly interpolated. Which means that the Akaso Brave 4 action camera records videos at a 1080p resolution and then the internal software scales them until they fit the desired size. You’ll basically get a 4K resolution video but it won’t be near as good of a quality as a native version but at a fraction of the cost of what a real 4K camera would cost.
The AKASO Brave 4 is an action camera that really excels at underwater photography and has a number of included accessories to help with that.
One important feature in any action camera is the battery life. The AKASO Brave 4 has done a great job at making the batteries last a long time. They use an 1050 mAh Li-On battery and it lasts for around 90 minutes. That’s when you record videos at 1080p. What I really like is that the Akaso Brave 4 action camera comes with 2 batteries instead of just one.
Akaso Brave 4 Specs
- Akaso Brave 4 Cameras have 2.32 x 1.57 x 0.91 inches Dimensions
- Its weighs in at 5.6oz
- It has a healthy field of vision which is 170°, 140°, 110°, and 70°
- 20MP resolution for photos
- You can use 10 Micro SD
- Video resolution is 4K, 2.7K, and 1080p
- It has a Micro HDMI, Mini USB, and a MicroSD memory card slot port
- Memory: MicroSD with Class 10 and SDXC cards, up to 64GB
- Battery: 1050 mAh Li-On
- Battery life: 90 minutes of 1080p at 60fps
- It can do Single Shot, Burst, Looping, Underwater and Time-Lapse
- OPTIONAL VIEW ANGLE AND ANTI-SHAKING: Adjust the view angle of this action camera according to your needs between 170°, 140°, 110°, and 70°. Built in smart gyroscope for anti-shaking and image stabilization to make your video much more smooth.
- SPORTS CAMERA WITH WIFI AND HDMI: Sharing & editing videos from an action camera is easier with the free app. Just download the App on your phone or tablet and connect with this action camera. Wi-Fi signal ranges up to 10 meters. With HDMI Port allows you to connect it with television.
- 100FT WATERPROOF CAMERA AND 2” IPS SCREEN: Place your action camera into the waterproof case and securely fasten it, then you can dive below 30 meters. This underwater camera is ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, etc. 2” IPS screen allows you to preview the video in action camera.
- FREE VALUABLE ACCESSORIES: This underwater camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, remote control wristband and 19 accessories kit, the kits are available for most kinds of camera even Gopro. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. The remote wristband is not waterproof.
How does the Akaso Brave 4 budget action camera compare to the competition? We think it stacks up favorably on features and performs reasonably well for the price. If you’re just interested in a video camera like a GoPro but for occasional use (or underwater) we think the Akaso Brave 4 camera is a solid bet.
Find me on social media: