Are you planning a trip to Glacier National Park? If so, then at first you should identify the gateways to your destination. If you don’t plan your trip in a systematic way, then you might face trouble.
The most important of these is to find the closest airport to glacier national park so that you can book flights easily. Not only that but also you should study the essential part of your trip like how to get to glacier national park, hotels near glacier national park, how much fees and permits are required, alternative transportation, available food, and cost, etc.
Sounds like trouble? No worries, this article is all about what you need to know for planning a trip to Glacier National Park. This article will guide you to know about—
- Closest Airport To Glacier National Park
- How to get to glacier national park
- Available hotels near glacier national park
- Alternate modes of transport
And all the necessary tips that you need to know. So why wait? Let’s get started and plan an organized trip.
Table of Contents
The Closest Airport To Glacier National Park
In the case of airports, there are a couple of choices for Glacier National Park. Depending on the circumstances that may be suitable for you, pick the right one. Here is a list of the closest airport to glacier national park:
Glacier National Park International Airport (FCA): (Closest Airport To Glacier National Park)
This is the closest airport to Glacier National Park among the airports on this list. The journey to the glacier national park may be challenging, but Glacier National Park International Airport makes it much easier.
Glacier Park International Airport (FCA) is the closest airport to Glacier National Park and the gateway to northwest Montana. The airport is located near Kalispell, about 12 miles from Whitefish and 30 miles from Glacier National Park’s West Entrance. The glacier national park airport is very close to most tourists and accommodations. Find the best accommodation to suit your needs by using cozycozy.
From Glacier National Park airport, the park’s west entrance in West Glacier is roughly a 40-minute drive away while East Glacier Park is roughly a 2-hour drive. It takes only 35 min (24.5 mi) via US-2 E . Picking up your rental car at the Glacier National Park airport and driving to the Crown of the Continent for a picturesque drive is simple with Car rental companies.
Lethbridge Airport (YQL)
For Canadian tourists, this is an excellent starting place. Lethbridge Airport is just located across the border. However, for those who are more adventurous, this gateway can be a better option because you will be exposed to all of the splendor along the route.
By car or bus, there are two routes to get from Lethbridge to Glacier National Park. Driving from Lethbridge to Glacier National Park takes around 2h 59m and costs $15 – $23. So it is the cheapest and fastest way to get from Lethbridge to Glacier National Park and one of the closest airports to glacier national park.
So this can be the closest airport to glacier national park for Canadian tourists.
Missoula International Airport (MSO)
It’s a great alternative for many American travelers because this one is roughly three hours away from Glacier National Park. Like the Lethbridge alternative, this gateway will take passengers on a pleasant drive to their destination. By bus/car or train, you can go from Missoula Airport (MSO) to Glacier National Park.
Driving from Glacier National Park to Missoula Airport (MSO) takes around 3h 22m and costs $14 – $22(Approx). So it is the cheapest and fastest way to get from Glacier National Park to Missoula Airport (MSO) and one of the closest airports to Glacier National Park.
These airports are the most famous airports near glacier national park and the closest airport to glacier national park from different locations.
How To Get To Glacier National Park
Glacier National Park is situated in the northwest corner of Montana, along the spine of the Rocky Mountains. The park’s southwest (29 miles) is in the neighborhood of its nearest town, Kalispel, followed by Missoula (150 miles) from the south and Great Falls from the southeast (200 miles). The U.S. 2 and U.S. 89 are the shortest routes to the park for cars.
Grouse Mountain Lodge provides a complimentary shuttle service to and from the Glacier Park International Airport, the Whitefish Amtrak station, and downtown Whitefish for guests staying at the hotel.
Dollar Car Rental offers a facility immediately north of Glacier Park International Airport, which we highly recommend. As the shuttle is on-site when every airline arrives, and the rental vehicle pick-up is not within walking distance of the airport, you might have to walk a little before hopping into your own ride!
However, The park has a few different entrances like West Glacier, St. Mary, Many Glacier, Camas Road, Polebridge, Two Medicine, etc. Going-to-the-Sun Road is accessible from both West Glacier and St. Mary. If you’re coming from the park’s western edge, you can enter Polebridge and travel to Bowman and Kintla Lakes.
The Camas Road can also be used to reach the Going-to-the-Sun Road. The park’s three eastern gates are St. Mary, Many Glacier, and Two Medicine, which may be accessed by driving north on Highway 89 from Great Falls to Browning (about 125 miles), then following signs to the appropriate entry. Follow Highway 2 into Browning from the west. On the east side of the park, you’ll find the Glacier Park Lodge, St. Mary Village, and Prince of Wales Hotel.
The easterly paths are essentially hiking routes that provide access to certain locations but do not lead to the park’s core. The East Glacier, Essex, Two Medicine, Many Glacier, and Cut Bank trails are among them.
Bear in mind, If you have guests with you, you might need to take a permit for that. The West Glacier, Polebridge, Many Glacier, and St. Mary entrances all provide them. During the winter, the location is unfortunately closed. The majority of the Going-to-the-Sun Road is also blocked.
Alternate Modes Of Transport
There are several alternative modes of transportation available like a car, train, etc.
- Train: As alternative transport, there is a train by Amtrak’s Empire Builder. It travels between Chicago to Seattle, which stops at East Glacier between May to October, and Essex and West Glacier all year round.
- Car: If you’re visiting Glacier National Park by car, U.S. Highway 2 is the most direct route.
Available Hotels Near Glacier National Park
The most crucial aspect after arriving in the park is finding a place to stay. Choosing the best hotel for your stay will make your journey more enjoyable. There are tons of available hotels near glacier national park. Here are a few of them that might help you.
West Glacier Village: Starting At $99.00 (Approx)
West Glacier Village is located at the western entrance to Glacier National Park on the central fork of the Flathead River near the junction of US HWY2 and Going-to-the-Sun Road. The Going-to-the-Sun Road and Glacier National Park are just minutes away from West Glacier Village. It features affordable lodging in a wonderful location, as well as some of Glacier National Park’s best restaurants and gift shops. The Closest Airport To Glacier National Park and West Glacier Montana is Glacier Park International Airport (FCA)
- Motel rooms, cabins, and RV Park
- Biking Package available So, save on bike rentals for an adventure on the Going-to-the-Sun Road.
- It offers a wide range of dining options for the entire family.
Rising Sun Motor Inn: Starting At $179.00 (Approx)
Rising Sun Motor Inn is located along the Going-to-the-Sun Road inside Glacier National Park that is 6 miles west of St. Mary’s Visitor Center. Rising Sun would be the closest hotel to Logan Pass. It is also the nearest hotel to the closest airport to glacier national park. It is ideal for budget-conscious guests since it offers motel rooms and cabins. Rising Sun Motor Inn and Cabins – Inside the Park is 67.7 mi (119-min drive) away from the Glacier Park International Airport (FCA), the closest popular airport to the property.
- The duplex cabin accommodations are positioned along the main road that runs through the complex.
- Glacier Guidebook
- Camp store (groceries & recreational supplies)
- Tours aboard the Red Bus (ask at Front Desk)
- Private bathroom
- In or near the cabins or hotel rooms, cooking is not permitted.
- Non-smoking rooms and amenities are available.
- Free self-parking
- Dining: Two Dog Flats Grill
- Shopping: Rising Sun Motor Inn – Gift Shop & General Store
Village Inn At Apgar: Starting At $182.00 (Approx)
The Village Inn in Apgar is approximately 2 miles inside Glacier National Park’s west gate, on the tranquil shores of Lake McDonald. The Village Inn at Apgar offers unbeatable views of Lake McDonald. The nearest airport is Kalispell Glacier Park.
- Units with one or two bedrooms.
- One-bedroom units with a kitchenette are available.
- Beaches on Lake McDonald are accessible.
- Views of Lake McDonald.
- The parking lot is just behind the motor inn.
- No televisions, air conditioning, or in-room telephones
- Cooking is only allowed in kitchen units
- Village Inn At Apgar – Inside The Park does not offer free parking and airport shuttle service.
Lake McDonald Lodge: Starting At $115.00 (Approx)
Located on the western side of Glacier National Park. Offers a peaceful setting, beautiful views, and comfortable lodging. Lake McDonald Lodge – Inside the Park is 27.3 miles from Kalispell Glacier Park and 85.5 miles from Lethbridge.
- Boat Cruises
- Box Lunch (Available by Request).
- Duplex Style Cabins.
- Fishing Trips
- On-site self-parking is offered with a fee.
- 82 guest rooms split between the three-story main lodge, a row of cabins, Snyder Hall, and also the exquisite Cobb House
- Cobb House has three suites, each with a separate room, private bathroom, one queen bed, sleeper sofa, and a flat-screen TV.
- There are not any televisions (save within the suites), air-con, or elevators.
- Snyder Hall has eight hostel-style rooms with a double bed or twin bunk beds, an in-room sink, and Customary bathroom access.
- Dining: Jammer Joe’s Grill and Pizzeria.Lucke’s Lounge, Russell’s Fireside Dining Room
- Shopping Lake McDonald Lodge – General Store
- Inside the Park doesn’t offer a free airport shuttle service
- This is also a budget-friendly and nearby hotel to the closest airport to glacier national park.
St. Mary Village: Starting At $160.00 (Approx)
St. Mary Village is a full-service resort in St. Mary, Montana, just outside Glacier National Park’s east gate. The area’s breathtaking landscape, rich wildlife, and other surrounding activities attract visitors. It offers a lodge, cabin, and motel. This one is also nearby to the closest airport to glacier national park and all the exciting scenery.
- Gas station
- Mountain Lounge/Bar
- Curly Bear Cafe
- Glacier Perk Espresso And Candy Shop
- Daily Housekeeping Service
- Telephone & Free Local Calls
The park’s developed sections – Lake McDonald, Apgar, Many Glacier, and Rising Sun – provide accommodation and eating options, but visitors should always bring their own food and beverages. It’s also worth noting that eateries are only open from late June through Labor Day. I am giving here a short overview about dining:
- Eddie’s Café & Mercantile at Apgar offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Alongside some regional favorites, Sandwiches, salads, bison burgers are available.
- Russell’s Fireside Dining Room Lake McDonald Lodge offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you are there, don’t forget to try elk burger
- Lucke’s Lounge and Jammer Joe’s Grill & Pizzeria Jammer Joe’s is a child favorite, providing pizza, sandwiches, soups, salads, and an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. Lucke’s also serves soups, salads, and sandwiches.
- Ptarmigan Dining Room at Many Glacier menu features seared duck breast and grilled salmon, as well as classics like Cobb salad and burgers.
Visit glaciermt.com for additional information on how to get to Glacier National Park, the closest airport to glacier national park, dining, and Montana’s Glacier Country.
When Is The Best Time To Go To Glacier National Park?
Glacier is stunning and accessible at any time of year, with a variety of outdoor activity opportunities available all year. In July and August, things are very crowded, so try to avoid those months if you want to avoid the crowds.
- Where Should I Stay When Visiting Glacier National Park?
Columbia Falls is one of the best places to stay in Glacier National Park. The park’s west gate is only a 20-minute drive away, and it’s a gorgeous journey. Columbia Falls is a great place to stay if you don’t want to tent yet want to get the most out of your visit to Glacier National Park.
- When Is The Best Time To Visit Glacier National Park?
The months of July and August are ideal for visiting Glacier National Park. This is the busiest season for visitors, with daytime temperatures averaging in the low 80s and nightly temperatures dipping into the 40.
- When Should I visit Glacier National Park To Avoid Crowds?
The ideal time to visit Glacier National Park to avoid crowds is from mid-September to mid-October.
- What Is The Closest Southwest Airport To Glacier National Park?
Kalispell, Montana, is the nearest airport with airline service to Glacier, located west of the west entrance.
Glacier national park is an amazing place for any travel junky. A good plan can make your vacation more fruitful. You know all the necessary information such as what is the closest airport to Glacier National Park, available hotels, dining, etc. Now, it’s your turn to make a good plan and enjoy your vacation.